Functions specific to S-57 charts
Installation and management of ScanNav's Charts library
Downloading, installation, and updates of ENCs are fully integrated in ScanNav. Refer to the Installation guide in pdf for full instructions.
S57 format is the standard vector format chosen for official ENC charts. ENCs are distributed according the S63 scheme which is an encrypted encapsulation of S57.
Primar is an International organization that centralizes Official ENCs from
the Hydrographic Offices of countries member of the IHO. Charts are
directly issued from the HO of concerned countries with updates
delivered weekly. For more general information, you can consult the Primar www.primar.org or the IHO www.iho.int Web sites.
ScanNav supports Official ENCs in their S57 and S63 formats, and is referenced as a Primar distributor.
You can personalize the display of vector ENCs using the "ENCs S57" tab of ScanNav's preferences. You may save personal settings under different named configurations using the "Save settings" button, and switch easily between these configurations or restore the factory defaults using the "Load settings" button.
Starting from version 14.1, it is possible to choose Soundings and Heights units
in ENCs between Meters (default), Feet, or Fathom. This option not only
impacts the charts display, but also all fields related to deths and
heighs in the ENC settings, and also "dynamic sounds" units (see
below). It has nevertheless
no impact on the S57 charts information window which always displays
raw information as coded in the ENCs, so always in Meters.
Warning: changing back and forth between units might engender rounding errors. For example switch from Meters to Fathom then back to Meters might change a value of 2m to 1.99m. On another side, the internal reference in ENCs is expressed in Meters which is the IHO International standard, including for countries using imperial units. This can lead to display of soundings with an excess of precision.
- "Dangerous sounds": Lets you highlight sounds under a given value, to put them in evidence using specific text display. Important warning: Dangerous sounds will evolve according to the depth correction entered (see below)
- "Depth areas": Lets you customize colors for different depth areas. A tip is to enter in the first cell the minimum security depth with a specific color. All depths areas containing sounds above this value will therefore be be put in evidence, highlighted with the given color. Important warning: Depth areas will evolve according to the depth correction entered (see below)
- "Activate sounds delta": This option activates the depth correction control in the menu bar to enable the dynamic sounds feature according to a water level at a given time.
this feature modifies sounding values displayed on the chart.
The process is to enter the water level of the current tide. For
example, if you enter a value of 3m, a sound of "1" meter will be
displayed "4" meters, and will therefore not correspond to
the hydrografic zero anymore.
- When the option "Depth correction" is checked with a value different to 0, the text field will be highlighted in red to signal that soundings have been modified.
- As soon as you start modifying the value, it will be highlighted in yellow to indicate that a modification is pending, and that soundings on the charts are therefore in an undetermined state. It will switch back to red (or white if value is 0), as soon as you validate the modification by hitting the "Enter" key, or clicking elsewhere, or automatically after 5 seconds; and soundings on the chart will be modified accordingly.
- By unchecking the option, the input field will switch to gray, and soundings will be back to their standard values.
WARNING: This feature only concerns ENC/S57 charts.Soundings displayed on other types of charts (Navionics, rasters,...) are not affected. You must therefore be very careful when using different types of charts altogether. The "Activate sounds delta" control will only show up if some ENCs are present in you charts library.
ENCs are designed with a vector technology, bringing additional information for each object inside the chart (lights, buoys, sounds, etc...) . All objects can be queried for additional information with the following specific S57 information window. To open it, use the icon, or menu "Option" -> "S57 info". (refer to the general documentation to configure custom toolbars in case is not present)
Starting from version 11.5, please refer to the installation guide in pdf format for a full description of the installation process. For older versions, please refer to the S63Install documentation (accessible from the Windows "start" menu, then in ScanNav folder)
Vector ENCs are managed in the same way as Raster charts (BSB, etc...) through the Charts Library. The library may contain a mix of Vector and Raster charts.
To insert a full pack of encrypted ENCs, you just have to insert the "enc.pmt" file from the ENC_ROOT directory, which will add all present ENCs in one step.
To insert non encrypted S57 files (such as free US S57 chart available at https://www.charts.noaa.gov/ENCs/ENCs.shtml), the process is similar, just use file "CATALOG.031" instead of "enc.pmt".